Health & Safety Manager
Location: Kentford – Newmarket
AJN Steelstock is a leading steel stockholder operating across East Anglia, the Midlands and South East of England. We offer a full range of stock and processing facilities and have successfully increased our annual tonnage year on year. The business is fully committed to maintaining a culture that places great emphasis on delivering an excellent service to our customers, which in effect, ensures we stand out against the competition.
Subsequently, we are now looking to recruit additional staff to join our growing team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Key responsibilities of this equally strategic and operational role include:
- Managing a team of people dedicated to Health, Safety and the environment.
- Liaise with colleagues to ensure a consistent approach to health and safety across all sites and satellite offices. This will require visiting all premises as and when required
- Keep the company up to date with all legislative requirements, updating relevant policies and procedures where necessary and maintaining company compliance.
- Carry out, record, communicate and implement workplace, fire, first aid, manual handling COSHH and DSE and environmental risk assessments and produce safe systems of work.
- Carry out HSE Induction Training for New Team Members and site visitors and monitor existing staff.
- Produce and or develop and deliver Health, Safety and Environmental training courses.
- Produce and deliver a programme of effective Toolbox talks on relevant topics considering workplace incidents, observations, changes in work practice and legislation and training requirements.
- Assist with the implementation of H&S Training plans
- Carry out RIDDOR reporting
- Carry out accident, incident and near miss investigations and analysis. Establish root causes and effective PCA’s and implement measures for continual improvement and the reduction in incident rates
- Manage the accurate recording of observations, near misses and incidents
- Analyse health, safety and environmental data including but not limited to incidents and observations to establish trends with a view to improving health and safety on site and reducing accidents and environmental incidents
- Manage external Health and Safety Audits to ISO 45001 and Environmental audits to ISO 14001 and any customer audits that are deemed appropriate
- Manage a programme of internal audits including planning, conducting and reporting to a suitable level, managing and implementing changes where necessary
- Be instrumental in the implementation and maintenance of BS EN ISO 45001 & 14001 and any other relevant management system with a view to continual improvement
- Be proactive in introducing health and safety initiatives to improve health, safety and well-being on site with a view to reducing accident and incident rates
- Be proactive in introducing environmental initiatives to improve our environmental impact, reducing our carbon footprint, improving our sustainability and reducing incident rates
- Manage the planning, implementation and recording of all operational plant and equipment inspections and monitoring under current legislation including but not limited to LOLER, PUWER, Working at Height, Confined Space, Gas safe and air and noise surveys
- Manage an effective Contractor evaluation process including on-site management of Contractors in line with legislative requirements, ISO 45001 and best practice
- Carryout site inspections to ensure compliance with legislation, management systems and our company procedures and safe systems of work
- Be instrumental in the selection, maintenance and issue of PPE and RPE
- Any other adhoc duties to enable the effective running of the department
These are the key areas only and should not be taken as exclusive of other tasks the employee may be asked to perform from time to time during the course of their employment. You will report to the Operations Director.
The successful Health & Safety Manager will hold / have:
- NEBOSH General Certificate as a Minimum. NEBOSH Diploma, NVQ Level 5 or equivalent preferred
- IEMA qualification desirable
- Excellent knowledge of health and safety legislation with the ability to put said knowledge into practice in an operational manner
- Be a member of IOSH, desirable
- Minimum 5 years experience within this or similar manufacturing, construction or heavy plant industry and the dangers associated with this
- Experience with ISO 14001 and 45001
- Management experience, proven ability to lead a team
- Train the trainer qualification
- Experience in CHAS, ACHILLES or other relevant standards
- Excellent communication skills across all levels.
- Excellent written skills
- Proficient in computers including Office packages and Outlook.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday 09.30am – 18.00pm, 40 hours per week with half an hour unpaid break
Rates of Pay: Pay dependent on level of experience
Holiday: 20 days per annum, excluding bank holidays (5 days to be retained for Christmas closure).
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE ABOVE OPPORTUNITY OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND PLEASE SEND CV TO: