Trainee HS&E Advisor
To play a vital role in the Health and Safety Team in protecting employees in the workplace and those affected by our work. You will use your expert knowledge and experience to control risks at work and ensure the Company meets current safety standards and legal requirements, communicating effectively across all levels of the Company in delivering the health and safety message.
You will monitor and review both written and operational works to ensure their effectiveness and compliance, and following consultation you will implement new protective and preventative measures as required by law or by the Company in achieving best practice.
Negotiable starting salary of £20,000 - £30,000 per annum dependent on experience / qualifications.
Annual summer discretionary bonus scheme
10 days sick pay allowance (after 5 years’ service)
Company pension scheme
20 days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays (pro rata)
Length of service rewards
5 additional days holiday after two years’ service
Private medical healthcare (after 2 years’ service)
Specsavers vouchers to those that specifically require it for their role
Legal and General Employee Assistance Programme
Duties & Responsibilites
- NEBOSH General Certificate as a minimum, diploma preferred
Duties & Responsibilities
- Working with a team of people dedicated to health, safety and the environment.
- Liaise with colleagues to ensure a consistent approach to health and safety across all sites and satellite offices in England. This may require visiting all premises as and when required.
- Assist the Health, Safety and Environmental Manager and team to ensure that the Company remains up to date with all legislative requirements, updating relevant policies and procedures where necessary and maintaining company compliance
- Carryout, record, communicate and implement workplace risk assessments and produce safe systems of work or assist there with.
- Carryout HSE induction training for new team members and site visitors and assist with the monitoring of existing members.
- Assist with the production and delivery of health, safety and environmental training course
- Assist with the production and delivery of a programme of effective Tool Box Talks on relevant topics considering workplace incidents, observations, changes in work practice and legislation and training requirements
- Arrange external training and prepare materials ready for them.
- Assist with the implementation of training plans.
- Carryout accident, incident and near miss investigations and analysis. Establish root causes and effective PCA’s and recommend and monitor measures for continual improvement
- Carryout site inspections, accurately recording observations, near misses and incidents.
- Liaise with the Company’s occupational health suppliers and prepare appointments for visits
- Ensure non-employee compliance of site rules, Company procedures and safe working practices.
- Carryout health and safety audits as per our ISO 45001 procedures, raising the necessary reports to a suitable level and assist with the implementation of changes where necessary
- Assist with the preparation and be in attendance for ISO 45001 and 14001 external audits as and when required
- Be proactive in suggesting health and safety initiatives to improve health, safety and well-being on site with a view to reducing accident and incident rates
- Be proactive in suggesting environmental initiatives to improve our environmental impact, reducing our carbon footprint, improving our sustainability and reducing incident rates
- Assist with the planning, implementation and recording of all operational plant and equipment inspections and monitoring under current legislation including but not limited to LOLER, PUWER, Working at Height, Confined Space, Gas Safe and Air and Noise surveys.
- Assist with the management of the Contractor evaluation process, including on site management of contractors in line with legislative requirements, ISO 45001 and best practice
- Carryout site inspections to ensure compliance with legislation, management systems and our company procedures and safe systems of work
- Liaise with the Company’s insurance company where necessary.
- Liaise with the HSE and Local Authorities if and when necessary
- Any other adhoc duties to enable the effective running of the department
- Effect communication with all employees to achieve active engagement in health, safety and environmental matters.
- Be able to work autonomously as well as part of a team using own initiative as and when required.
- Have excellent communication and people management skills. Be able organise and plan workload of yourself and others as and when required
AJN Steelstock is one of the UK’s leading steel stockholders operating from two sites in Kentford, Suffolk and Henstridge, Somerset. We have an outstanding reputation for service and reliability and are proud of our continued inclusion in the Sunday Times PwC Top Track 250 League Table and the London Stock Exchange Group’s ‘1,000 Companies to Inspire Britain’.